Nuts On The Flop

Poker stories from an Irish player...tournament reports, thoughts and goals

Monday, February 20, 2006

Shorthanded Freezeout - €30 19/02/2006

I played in Oscar's €30 FO yesterday afternoon, a fun way to spend your Sunday afternoon. The format varies from shorthanded, to shootout, to full-handed, and I have had a good bit of success here and there making it to the money.

There were 8 tables starting off yesterday, with either 6 or 7 per table, so about 50 runners in all. It is a self-deal tournament, and I volunteered to deal for the table - faster than passing the cards along each hand, with some players very inexperienced. Also I like to sit on the high chair :) We start off with 4k in chips and blinds of 25/50, with a 30 minute clock. During the first few hands, I dealt myself KK on the BB (hope it didn't seem suspicious) and with two limpers raised it to 200 to go. One caller. The flop was dealt 228 rainbow, and I fired off a bet of 300, which was called. The turn was a 7, and bet another 500, called again. My opponent was fairly inexperienced, and I reckoned I was ahead, he either had a mid-high pair or Ax. The turn was a slight scary 8, I bet another 1k, if he had A8 I would pay him off, but that's poker. He called with 44 for a smaller two pair and I was off to a nice start.

An orbit later I was in the BB again. Two limpers, the SB competes and I check with 74o. I deal the flop: 742 rainbow. Well well, doesn't this look nice! Checked around to me and I make it 300 to go, can't even think about slow-playing this, I've been caught so many times stupidly slow-playing a 'big blind special' and getting caught on the turn or river. Immediately, UTG raises to 650...hmmm. Does he have a set? I don't think so, but he does have me covered, so I decide to be careful and flat call his raise. The turn was a 9, and we both check. The turn was an ace, I check and he bets 1k, which I call for two reasons...he was possibly playing with Ax (x being a picture card) and trying to steal it despite missing the turn and river and secondly, I wanted to see what he was playing with! He had A7. I completely messed the hand up, making mistakes on each street. I *should* have re-raised / pushed after his raise on the flop. He said later he would have called (holding TPTK) but I don't think so.

A few hands later I was in the SB and completed after 2 others limped, the BB checked and the flop was Q8x rainbow. I had 87s. I made min raise and only one of my opponents called. The turn was a lovely 8...I checked, as did he. The river was a rag, and I bet 300. He immediately min-raised me...he is a strong player so I simply called. He had Q8 for a house...we both had sneakily checked on the turn :)

I was in trouble now, less than 1500 with the blinds up to 75/150. I pushed on the button with A7o, the BB called with A2s (claimed he couldn't but call, for 60% of his stack), a high flop and turn ensured a split pot. A few hands later I pushed with 55, was called by the chip leader with AQs, a Q on the flop sent me home after a little more than an hour played.

So far this year - played 14 live tournaments, cashed in 6. Will include a proper listing of my finishes and cashes in a later post.

1 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger Rory Cartwright said...

Unlucky Paul, I really have to go back down and play that again. I've only played Sundays twice (Charity game and €30 'shootout'). I got 1st and 3rd in these so I think the structure suits me.

I can't play this weekend (goin to Prague) but I'm gonna try and get down for next weekends game.

In relation to the self dealing thing, you are cursed from th moment you offer! Anytime you get aces/ kings etc. you get all the suspicious looks and 'bum dealer' calls! But it speeds up the game so much having 1 dealer, and helps when there are any disagreements etc.

What I tend to do now when I sit down at a self-deal tourney is ask first if anyone ELSE is willing to deal, and if not, I will offer. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to land at another boardsters table who will deal.

But somehow people have go the impression that I like dealing, and now point me out every time I sit down "ah nice one Rory, you gonna deal yeh!" feckers...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home