Nuts On The Flop

Poker stories from an Irish player...tournament reports, thoughts and goals

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Online poker update - Q1 2006

Up to this point, I have only posted about my live poker experiences...well, I just wanted to write a little something on my online play. The reason I don't focus on it is simple: I don't play very much online anymore, as I find I play a lot better live and more importantly, I take only a fraction of the enjoyment I get from poker from online play. It just isn't very fun. A lot of people play poker solely to make money and grind out profits, but not me - I play for both enjoyment and the expectation of profit. However, if poker playing was my profession, I would certainly re-evaluate this viewpoint!

Anyhow, I am a player who uses / relies on feel a lot when playing live, and I just can't translate this across to the online medium very well (unlike a lot of players I know, who have a knack of reading others across a virtual table). As a result, my online play in 2006 has been limited. I played 85 STTs during the first 3 months of 2006 (a little less than one a day!), just over a dozen tournaments and two $0.10/$0.25 cash game sessions (last of the big spenders!).

Most STTs have been $12+1 6-handed or $20+2 9-handed on Poker Stars. I am currently down just over $200 YTD - this is a reversal from last year, where I made a very tasty profit from my STT play. Including STTs from November and December 05, my current downswing is even greater, almost $400. I feel I am playing even better poker that last year, I just a 'surfing a wave of negative varience' into the rocks, to paraphrase the legendary DocFarrell! I am confident I will end the year in positive territory with regard STTs, they are the bread and butter of my online play.

With regard MTTs, I have only played an average of 3 a month so far this year! This is because after weighing up my online play last year, I realised that after making a $1200+ STT profit over the course of 2005, I plowed the entire amount back in MTTs (mainly different WSOP and EPT satellites) with little success. So I decided in 2006 to almost completely stop playing online MTTs and concentrate on STTs instead - I played a number of $5 rebuys on Vegas Baby Poker, which were fun but not something I will ever make money on. The main reason why I am currently not suited to online MTTs, other than the fact I cannot play by feel and as such go from being a semi-decent poker player to a poor poker player (at least that's how I feel), is that I don't have the patience for online MTTs, get bored easily, can't concentrate on the game and as a result make stupid moves.

Nothing much to save about cash games, I only played once or twice to pass the time, just about broke even. I know this is an area I should think about concentrating on for the future if I want to make more money from poker, but haven't been willing to give it a try so far. I don't think I would find it interesting to play at lower levels and don't think I am willing to lose the cash needed to play at higher levels! I am very interested in investments in equities and commodities and prefer to accept a lower level of risk by investing in these and earning rewards I am happy with. Plus investing in these requires a much lower time commitment!

So that's my online poker update for YTD 2006 - one target I have set myself for Q2 2006 is to play 10 STTs at the least per week. So expect a more substantial update in 3 months time! Plus I can't promise I won't try a WSOP satellite or two over the next few months :)

2 Comments:

At 4:25 AM, Blogger Rory Cartwright said...

I play for both enjoyment and the expectation of profit.

Exactly how I see it.

As you know I gave up online play for a few months, as I get absolutely no enjoyment out of it. I started playing again a while ago, and make a small profit out of it, but I play purely for the money...

Like you, I feel I play a lot worse online due to impatience, lower standard of players, etc, and I find it a lot harder to read players online, as you don't have near as much to work off.

I prefer to arse about in STT's, and use the profit from these to fund MTT's and satellites. Like it or not, the easiest way to win tickets into big events(EPT, WSOP, Irish Open, etc) is online...

In my mind, online will never beat live play. It just doesn't have the thrill or excitement of a big live game!

Anyway, good luck with the rest of the year, if the start is anything to go by, you should end up with a tidy profit!

gl

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Ionapaul said...

Finger's crossed Rory! It is funny, some players are great at reading others online, but you and I can only seem to do it live. Maybe if I only played one STT at a time I could do it better, but find it so boring I need to play at least two at once, given that you are devoting an hour of your time for each one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home