Nuts On The Flop

Poker stories from an Irish player...tournament reports, thoughts and goals

Monday, May 08, 2006

SE Double Chance - €50+5 04/05/2006

After my Chinese language class on Thursday, I like to head out of Trinity and up the road to the Sporting Emporium's €50 Double Chance tournament, providing I'm not wrecked tired after the long day I've had! Last Thursday saw a very impressive turnout of lots of players I've known for a while, Fitz / SE / boards.ie regulars the lot of them. We decided to have a €10 last longest bet amongst 10 of us, €100 to whomever was knocked out closest to the money. Little did we realise that almost half of the runners in this bet would be out before the end of the 2nd level!

There were 6 or 7 tables starting off, an average crowd for this tournament. I was on the same table as Ian, a regular poster on boards and one of the other runners in the last longest bet. I had a great start to the game, working my 1500 starting stack up to 3500 in very short order, perhaps one or two orbits. I took down a big pot slowplaying TPTK on a very safe board, and a few hands later won another sizable pot limping with Ax suited in late position and being priced into calling each subsequent bet, hitting the nut flush on the river.

However, this is where the dream start goes wrong! I limp with KJs in mid position, and with two other limpers see a nice flop of KKQ, two clubs. Folded around to me, I make a 2/3 pot sized bet. The SB calls (I classified him as someone who knew what he was doing, but a real gambler who didn't bother with pot odds or any of that old jazz!), as does the other lad. The turn is the evil ace of clubs. The SB instantly pushes, the player in MP insta-calls! My trips must be behind. I show two older Fitz regulars beside me my hand as I lay it down, which surprised them, the SB flips 86c (very speculative call after my flop bet! lots of higher clubs could have been out there), the MP flips A 10.

A few hands later Ian is crippled after he made a mistake and goes all in UTG+1 for 375 or so on my BB (blinds 50/100 at this point). He gets 4 or so flat callers, I look down at 77. Hmm, no-one re-raised him, that's a big pot, I think I'm ahead of Ian (he seemed tilty!), yep, gotta push for over 2500. A young (inexperienced) player in MP decides to call, he has about 1750 or so. Ian has QQ and the MP has A9h, of course a 9 hits on the river to cripple me. Happy enough with this play (please comment if you feel I made a mistake), I read Ian wrong but it was very likely I would have gotten into a HU situation for a big pot with my 77 with that move. I had only shown very big hands at this point, and was not sure what the player with A9 thought I had - I doubt he gave it even a second's consideration, actually.

Now I was in trouble, I pushed with AJ a few hands later and was outdrawn by A10, so called for my 2nd set of chips. With blinds of 50/100, even with only 30 minutes of the tournament gone I couldn't afford to limp really, so hoped for a quick double up. Took 400 in blinds on the BB a few hands later when I pushed with A9o. Some mad action on our table, one player has AA cracked by JJ for a huge pot and then KK cracked by 1010 by the exact same player a minute or two later to knock him out. That particular villain was the one who hit his mediocre flush against my three Kings in the previous level. A minute or two before the end of the level, I found A10 in the SB, four limpers (these players love to limp!), I decided to push, mr. villian decides to call with his slow-played AK and off I go.

I wasn't even the first out of the last longest bet, as rounders123, ian and culchie were out before me! A pity to go out so soon after my dream start, I felt I didn't make any big mistakes and was ready to take the tournament by the scruff of its need, but that's poker I suppose.

I played another fun tournament yesterday - here's hoping I manage to post up a report before I get another one under my belt - getting hard to remember all the action a few days on - I must be getting old(er)

1 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger Rounders123 said...

Couldnt believe your 77 move especially earlyish in the SE double chance. I dont like this move with 4 callers ahead of me. One of those wallys was always going to have KJ or KQ AX(x being higher than a 7) or something and not be able to resist the call especially as they know if they bust they can call for their second chips.
I think this is an advanced move you made and very courageous but i think its better to play this move toward the end of a tournament when its squeaky bum time.

That said i do like the sounds of you tampering with your game recently bringing a bit more gamble in places etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home